Wednesday, June 10, 2009

A Week in Review

The past eight days have been pretty intense, and I am thankful that the last week is coming to an end. The week started with Ben getting his wisdom teeth pulled. The surgery went well, but the recovery has been a little prolonged. (Squeamish people skip to the next paragraph). Basically what both Ben and I have learned is that you don't rip-out your blood clots thinking they are gauze. First, your wife grows very faint at the sight of all blood, and it causes the healing process to be painfully extended.

Then there was my birthday. As most people, I love my birthday, but this year it was not full of all the bells and whistles. A chipmunk-cheeked husband (poor guy), 900 degree weather, two final papers, and missing the man who sang me happy birthday for the first 27 years of my life, made ringing in 28 different, to say the least. 

Finally there were the last two papers of my first year of graduate school. Coupled with the first two scenarios described, it's been more of a pressure cooker than past quarters.

What I have learned from this week is that sitting at the computer causes a few things:
1. If you don't keep training for the triathalon/marathon, or do any exercise what-so-ever, you not only become stressed, but coupled with eating your weight in good-n-plenties, learn that once you put "real pants" on (real meaning no elastic waist band), they will probably be a little tight..maybe more than a little.
2. After a week of a sore mouthed husband, he is not the only one wishing it would heal.
3. It is good to have someone edit your papers--high heat and extreme conditions make your thoughts a little muddled.
4. You need to set a timer to remind yourself to do important things like eat (for those of you who know me, it is extremely rare when I forget to eat), and finally,
5. Try not to forget the real world. The laundry spilling out of the closet, no non-beige food in the fridge, and the dead fly on the floor should all be red flags that you haven't taken your eyes off the screen for a while.

Tonight, Ben is taking me out to really celebrate my birthday, and for being done with school. I cannot tell you how much I am looking forward to the summer with my two little credits, a part-time job, and somethings I have been missing for awhile: fun and friends.

Happy Summer! 

1 comment:

Jordan said...

Happy Summer, twin, you deserve it :)