Friday, May 8, 2009

The sneeze heard round the theater

I admit that when I get on the bus, the whole swine flu thing enters my mind. And it isn't necessarily the swine flu I am thinking about, but all the germs circulating in that tiny non-ventilated vehicle. My hunch is though, that as long as no one sneezes in my mouth or licks my eye, I'll be okay with a good hand wash after riding.

However, I think others are a little more paranoid cautious. Case in point, Ben and I went and saw a movie the other day (Wolverine), and at some point during the movie I sneezed. If you know me, I sneeze pretty loud, and a lot for that matter (allergies, morning, etc., whatever), but I dutifully covered my mouth with my arm, Ben said "bless you" and I thought all was well in the world until I saw him--One of the other five movie watchers who turned around and gave me a look like I had vomited all over him. It went on for so uncomfortably long that I kind of got the giggles. Ben noticed too, as we discussed what I should have done on the way home. I was thinking an appropriate fake cough right in his ear, probably would have sent him running in panic out of the theater. 

I guess you can't be too naive about the flu, but glaring at an innocent girl with piercing eyes of fiery, while all she wanted to do was look at pretty Hugh Jackman and eat Raisinettes, was a little much. I mean, it's not like I licked his eye or anything.


No comments: